‘Padcicles.’ like popsicles but for your postpartum lady bits! Oh, how fun the name sounds for such an unpleasant situation.
This simple padcicle recipe promotes healing, reduces inflammation and soothes sore bottoms after giving birth. All it takes are two ingredients, five steps and ten minutes.
Padcicles are essential to care for your perineum post birth. They help numb and heal the painful area with a simple mixture of (alcohol-free) witch hazel and aloe vera. If there is a chance you’ll give birth vaginally you need to stock your freezer with these before your due date.
Seriously though- these things saved my life (and nethers) with my first baby and now that my second bub is locked and loaded, I’ll be DIY’ing these frozen ‘treats’ today.
About the Ingredients:
Witch Hazel has been used as a natural skin toner and healer for hundreds of years. It’s anti-inflammatory and anti microbial. It’s also an astringent which helps heal and tighten skin proteins and stop bleeding.
Typically used to treat sunburns Aloe Vera is a skin soother. It promotes healing and reduces inflammation, itching and provides mild, natural pain relief. Aloe also acts as a non-greasy moisturiser and has vitamins and minerals that help feed and heal skin.
When the liquids are frozen on a maternity pad they provide a soothing, numbing sensation while the ingredients do their healing work.
- 1 pack of maternity pads
- Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel (I bought mine from behind the counter at the pharmacy)
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Take your pads out of their individual packaging and open fully and line them up.
- Add 2 tablespoons of alcohol-free witch hazel to each pad
- Spread 2 tablespoons of aloe vera to each pad- creating an even layer
- Roll, or fold up the pads and stack them all in a large freezer bag
- Store bag in freezer and use them when you return from the hospital
Use as many as you need in the first few weeks. I would also recommend alternating this treatment with taking a shallow sitz bath (with Epsom salt) in the hottest water you can stand. This will help everything heal up nicely.
You’ll be able to sit down without pain in no time!