|Nothing more glorious than loaded fries- without guilt|
These oven baked fries are perfect when you’re feeling naughty but your diet hasn’t been nice. Good thing the silly season has come to a close.
The oven-baked french fry recipe belongs to my Aunt Nanette (she’s the best home cook I’ve ever met) and you’ll be amazed that not a single drop of oil is used.
Then I treated those little bad boys just like they were nachos- using all fresh ingredients so to be as healthy as possible.
Tell me you don’t want to eat your screen right now.
|Oven baked fries using egg whites and salt only!|
|Melted cheese rocks my world|
Low-Fat Loaded Fries
- 4-5 Small-Med Size Potatoes
- 1 egg white Beaten until frothy
- Generous Pinch Salt
- 1-2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Lime
- 1-2 Tomatos
- Small Handful Chopped Chives
- Bunch Chopped Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yoghurt
- Sprinkle Cumin (optional)
- Slice potato lengthwise (skin on) into wedges. Thickness will depend on your preference. That’s what she said (why are food descriptions always so sexual?)
- Toss (see what I mean?) wedges with the frothy egg white until evenly coated.
- Lay evenly (I can’t even stop now that it’s in my head) on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 220C/ 435F for about 35 minutes. The one thing to keep in mind is that these need to be cooked on high heat- timing is a fine art and it depends on the thickness of your taters. It took me a few attempts to get these juuuust right.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, transfer to a baking dish and add cheese.
- Broil for 2-5 minutes until gold and bubbly. Remove from oven and add your toppings.
- Smashed avocado with lime juice, shredded lettuce, herbs, tomatoes and finally top with Greek Yoghurt and sprinkle with cumin.
- Serve with extra lemon or lime wedges.
- PS (If I had coriander/ cilantro at home I would have added heaps of that too).