In my effort to reduce our food waste I decided to throw them all into our crock pot and see what happened. I had a few green and red apples and a some yellow pears. A little montly crew of deciduous fruit.
Pour some water in to cover the fruit about 1/3 of the way. Add the grated ginger, vanilla, spices and honey (if desired) and slow cook on low so you can enjoy the aroma all day (you can cook on high if you’re short on time.)
Serve warm on it’s own or add the sauce to yogurt, muesli or ice cream. Yum!
Apple-Pear Sauce with Vanilla and Ginger
- 4-5 Apples
- 3-4 Pears
- 1 Hunk Ginger Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cloves
- A Cup or Two Water
- Peel and dice apples and pears and throw into slow cooker.
- Grate the ginger and add to apples.
- Cover the fruit about 1/3 of the way with water.
- Add spices, vanilla and honey and stir well.
- Slow cook on low or high.
- Once finished, serve as is or mash with a fork.